Our picks

Match Report: Huddersfield Town 0 Southampton 0

Huddersfield once again gave an admirable performance in this well-matched game; looking like a genuine Premier League side, despite picking up just the one point instead of three this time out. Southampton put in an excellent defensive effort themselves which resulted in the game ending goalless.

With their most challenging game yet, Huddersfield started well by stopping the Saints from getting forward and create chances. However, around the 10th minute, Nathan Redmond found himself with an immense amount of space on the left as a ball was played into him, and the 23-year old ran into the box to release a shot that trundled just past the far post.


At this point, you’d probably be thinking that maybe this could be too hard a test for the newly promoted side, but most of the events following the early Saints chance proved this wrong. Huddersfield were creating opportunities in the same manner that they have done already so far in their first Premier League campaign, and Southampton were failing to present the same attacking threat they had in their first two games.

Tadić did look to crack the Terriers’ sturdy defence with a clever short pass through to Steven Davis, but Löwe prevented anything coming from it with a great last-ditch challenge.

After this chance though, it was all Huddersfield for the rest of the first half. They would have been in front by the 19th minute if it weren’t for great blocks for Yoshida and Forster. Some crosses along the ground found their way to Kachunga, and then moments later to Mounié, but fortunately for the Saints fans making the long journey north, their defender and goalkeeper kept the goal untouched.


Not too long later Yoshida had to make another excellent block from van La Parra’s shot inside the box. Southampton’s quality was being displayed at the back rather than the front for the first half as the Terriers continued their attacks. By the end of the first 45 minutes, Southampton had failed to register a shot on target, whereas Huddersfield had already generated five.

Most of the second half was disappointingly dull compared to the first. The Saints looked a little more threatening as Huddersfield began to step off the gas, but an unconvincing penalty shout for the away side for a slight tangle involving James Ward-Prowse brought the only real talking point until the last five minutes or so.

Southampton were looking the most likely to score right at the end and probably should have done when Shane Long squeezed an excellent cross to the back post. Ryan Bertrand just needed to nod the ball straight into the goal in front of him but for some reason headed back across goal. Nevertheless, the ball was heading into the net and Tommy Smith had to make a game-saving goal line clearance to preserve Huddersfield’s unbeaten status.


Ultimately a 0-0 draw was probably a fair result, as both sides showed a good defensive display, and both have positives to take from the match. Southampton showed that they can defend effectively and Huddersfield proved to themselves that they can perform against the higher calibre Premier League teams, but may need to improve their finishing if they are to take three points from these sorts of games.

Both Huddersfield and Southampton will go into their fourth games unbeaten, taking on West Ham and Watford respectively after the international break.

Written by Harry Mahon.

Harry Mahon

90maat's team correspondent for Tottenham Hotspur, graduate of Loughborough University and current student at the University of Surrey.

90MAAT News Now

Premier League Table

90MAAT Social Media

ScoopDragon Football News Network

Search The Site