The next destination of our alphabetical world tour is Chile. According to the Premier League website, 14 players have represented Chile in the Premier League, many of whom are huge names in Europe and particularly in Chile itself, including several of the most capped Chileans of all time.
First Player – Javier Margas (West Ham, 1998-2001)
One of many bizarre entries in Harry Redknapp’s Premier League story book, Javier Margas moved to England following an impressive showing at the 1998 World Cup before performing an incredible escape through a hotel window.
Reports suggested that his wife was extremely unhappy with life in London and that he was ultimately forced to rejoin her in Chile. Going AWOL from his contract with the Hammers, Margas fled a hotel as club officials attempted to track him down.
Margas was an accomplished player, appearing in all four of Chile’s games at the 98 World Cup and winning 63 caps in total. He was a man of extremes, often dying his hair the colours of the team he was playing for, but his extreme nature ultimately meant that the Premier League never got to see the best of its first ever Chilean player.
- Most Appearances – Alexis Sánchez (154)
- First appearance – Javier Margas (Coventry 0-0 WEST HAM, August 29th 1998)
- Most goals – Alexis Sánchez (63)
- First goal – Javier Margas (WEST HAM 5-0 Coventry, April 22th 2000)
Current/Most Recent Players
Though two players are currently on the books of Premier League clubs, they have only made a combined four appearances in 2019/20. Claudio Bravo is limited to a backup role behind Manchester City’s Ederson, while Alexis Sánchez is currently escaping from his Manchester United nightmare on loan at Inter Milan.
- All 10 CONMEBOL nations have been represented in the Premier League. Only Brazil (79), Argentina (71), Uruguay (21) and Colombia (18) have been represented by more players than Chile (14).
- Alexis Sánchez has scored 63 Premier League goals. The other 13 Premier League Chileans have scored a combined 18 goals.
- Seven of the eight most capped Chileans of all time have played in the Premier League; Alexis Sánchez – 132 caps (1st), Gary Medel – 126 caps (2nd), Claudio Bravo – 123 caps (3rd), Mauricio Isla and Gonzalo Jara – 115 caps (=4th), Jean Beausejour – 107 caps (7th) and Eduardo Vargas – 91 caps (8th).